Distributed / Failover Monitoring - ocsp command don't work

h.baecker at ecofis.de h.baecker at ecofis.de
Wed Jan 7 11:45:17 CET 2004

Hello all,

I've got some Problem with Failover Monitoring explicit the ocsp command.

This is what I have:

Master Server: Nagios 1.0 with active notifications / active service
checks / active state retention
Slave Server: Nagios 1.1 disabled notification / service_checks / state
retention = 0

and following config on the Master:
## nagios.cfg

obsess_over_services=1
ocsp_command=submit_check_result

## misccommands.cfg
# 'submit_check_result' command definition to send Service Status to Slave
Nagios
define command{
        command_name    submit_check_result
        command_line
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/eventhandlers/submit_check_result $HOSTNAME$
'$SERVICEDESC$' $SERVICESTATE$ '$OUTPUT$'
        }

## services.cfg

define service{
        host_name       some_host
        service_description     some_service
        is_volatile     0
        check_period    24x7
        check_command   check_webserver_ext........
        max_check_attempts      4
        notification_interval   3600
        notification_period     24x7
--->>> obsess_over_service     1
        notifications_enabled   1
        notification_options    r,c
        normal_check_interval   300
        retry_check_interval    15
        contact_groups  notrelevant
        }

If I run the '/usr/local/nagios/libexec/eventhandlers/submit_check_result'
manually as the same user as nagios the Service Check Results were
transmitted to the Slave through nsca_send and all that stuff. It works
fine. But in "normal" live the submit_check_result won't be executed with
no error in the logfiles.

For controlling myself I configured some services with
event_handler                   submit_check_result
event_handler_enabled           1

and it works. After Service State changes (!!!) the Slave show me that
there are Problems, Warnings, Criticals and so on, all other services are
on state "pending".

If I am right, it should be able with the ocsp command to transmit all
(!!!) the service results to my slave or is it wrong?

Please help.

Best regards

Hendrik Bäcker