Event handlers won't run - any ideas why?

minfrin at sharp.fm minfrin at sharp.fm
Sun Jan 4 20:54:47 CET 2004

Hi all,

I am having huge hassles with an event handler, that does not run as
it should.

According to my syslog, the "restart-tomcat4" event handler should have
run:

Jan  4 21:42:01 gatekeeper nagios: SERVICE EVENT HANDLER:
gatekeeper.xx.xx.xx;PATRICIA;CRITICAL;SOFT;1;restart-tomcat4

No errors have been logged to indicate that the script is not found,
permissions wrong, etc.

The script is defined like so:

# Attempt to restart TOMCAT4 on failure
define command{
        command_name    restart-tomcat4
        command_line
/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/eventhandlers/restart-tomcat4  $
SERVICESTATE$ $STATETYPE$ $SERVICEATTEMPT$
        }

The script above contains a line to indicate when it is run by nagios -
this shows that it is never run. Running the script manually as the nagios
user works fine, tomcat is restarted as it should. Nagios however ignores
the script entirely.

Is there anything I should be checking for this to work? The script has
run in the past, but not reliably. At this point the script does not run
at all. Does nagios v1.1 have known problems with the event handler code I
should be aware of?

Regards,
Graham