Generating Nagios LDAP Schema

Luke A. Kanies luke at madstop.com
Sat Jan 3 06:23:16 CET 2004

Hi all,

This is probably more of interest to those who expressed interest in an
LDAP-based config generator....

I've got an example LDAP schema built (you can see it at
http://luke.madstop.com/nagios.schema), but I realized that my mechanism
for generating it is silly.  Basically, I manually went through and
associated the options I knew of with object types.

Obviously, if I'm going to generate a schema based on something else, I
should generate it based on the Nagios code itself, so that if the code
changes the schema also changes (and also so that I actually have all of
the options; I noticed I missed a heckuva a lot).

So, before I went into trying to figure out where the data is (it looks
like it's all defined in xdata/xodtemplate.h), I figured I'd see if anyone
else is already doing something like this.  In fact, it looks like that
xodtemplate.h file itself is possibly even generated (given the weird
syntax and indentation in some cases).

Has anyone used this file to generate anything else?  Is this file itself
generated?  If so, from what, and how?  Is this even the file I want?

Basically, I want to write a script to convert Nagios's object/attribute
relationships into LDAP objectclass/attribute relationships.  I want to
be able to just point this script at a Nagios src repository and have it
build the schema file.

Anyone have any ideas?  I can do it all myself if necessary, but if
someone else already knows of a good way to take advantage of the
xodtemplate.h stuff, I'd appreciate being let in on the secret.

BTW -- to those who expressed interest in LDAP configuration generation:
Should we start a separate list?  I expect there aren't a lot of us, but
we might end up with a decent amount of traffic.  We could just start with
a simple mail alias (I'd be glad to maintain it), and then maybe create a
"real" list later.

Thanks,
Luke

--
I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian
because I hate plants.                      -- A. Whitney Brown