Monitoring 100+ hosts

Sat Feb 28 07:50:33 CET 2004

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

> Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 09:02:51 +0800 (PHT)
> From: kagoryu at cssr.edu.ph
> Subject: [Nagios-users] Monitoring 100+ hosts
>
> I've tried monitoring 100+ hosts (ping status) and I'm experiencing lag on
> my 100mbit network. Is there anyway I can minimise lag?

since you don't provide much description of your Nag environment or a
quantify lag (performance info may help), one can only suggest
alternatives to ping or some of the scheduling recommendations from the
tuning docco.

If you look in the Nagios Tuning docco you will see check_fping
recommended.

I think I prefer check_fping over _ping but YMMV.

The version from 1.3.1 plugin distro seems Ok, not so with 1.4alpha0.

(BTW, 100+ ping checks is not many for Nag unless you have turned the
check_interval right down; 189 here on Celeron 800/Dell 350 at 5
minute intervals has check latency of  < 1 sec.

>From performance info

                       Min     Max    Average
Check Execution Time:  < 1 sec 73 sec 1.928 sec
Check Latency:         < 1 sec 1 sec  0.044 sec
Percent State Change:   0.00%  0.00%  0.00%

Time Frame     Checks Completed
<= 1 minute:   23 (5.9%)
<= 5 minutes:  293 (75.7%)
<= 15 minutes: 319 (82.4%)