timezone for timeperiod

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Fri Feb 27 18:08:56 CET 2004

Subhendu Ghosh writes:

> Nagios using the timezone setting for the local system in determining
> timeperiods.
>
> For synchronizing systems across different time zones, I would suggest
> setting all their clocks to the same zone.

That's only a partial solution, though, since he will still need several
sets of timeperiod definitions whichever way he does it.  If he sets them
all to his local timezone he still needs to define working hours in
local terms for the server halfway around the world.

What keeping them all in one timezone does is get around the problems
where different timezones switch to/from DST at different times of
year, which could give a one-hour error for anything from hours to days.
But it still requires different definitions of working hours.

A useful feature in the next release would be something in hostinfo
or hostextinfo which sets the timezone the remote machine is on.  Of
course, that doesn't help with places that work strange hours.  And it
definitely doesn't help if you're administering servers in countries
where the working week differs from your own (offhand I don't know if the
POSIX locale stuff covers stuff like differences in working weeks).

You'd probably want to set the same info for contacts if you have a
distributed support team.

Then again, if the OOP templates had over-riding as well as inheritance
this would be far less of a problem because you could handle the exceptions
as exceptions.  The way it is now, if one machine out of thousands is
different in someway you have to take stuff out of the template and
insert it into all the individual instances just so you can make one
instance different from all the rest.  I have one machine where I have
to set different trigger levels on disk space and so I'm going to have
to do just that sort of change when I can bring myself to face it.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support