Any additional SNMP/NAGIOS documentation...

Fri Feb 27 00:57:38 CET 2004

Dear Sir,

I am writing to to thank you for your letter and say,

> From: atonns at mail.ivillage.com
> Subject: RE: [Nagios-users] Any additional SNMP/NAGIOS documentation...
>
> I found the SNMP support in Nagios lacking. The check_snmp plugin is
> seemingly a C wrapper around Net-SNMP's snmpget program.

There are some high class Net::SNMP based plugins in /contrib ( aka
'untested, unintegrated and unknown quality' Have a look, there are two
Al Tobey plugins [Mr Tobey is a CPAN author] and a Dave Alden snmp
plugin that look interesting. FWIW, I think Net::SNMP is the only way to
fly with snmp checks; the non-blocking IO support is great).

BTW, you can always submit an FAQ if you think the docco needs
improving. See ttp://www.nagios.org/faqs/addfaq.php

> However, I did have the time/resources to write my own plugins using perl,
> Net::SNMP and SNMPv3 (which was not support at the time). Given that, I
> think Nagios is working out well.

> I just wish the embedded perl portion of
> it didn't leak as much (I have to restart the nagios daemon once a day).

Well all you have to do is interest Doug McEachern or someone of his
ilke to look after this part of the code, or wait until version 2
whereupon the leaks will be far less visible because IIRC the Perl
intrepreter will be deallocated and reinitialised periodically by
Nagios.

If you are serious about leaks, you could probably do this yourself or
backport the 2.0 changes.

I am quite serious about the former remark. To do embedded Perl well
needs someone with a high order of Perl skills and a knowledge of or at
least extensive familiarity with Perl internals and the Perl C API.

The incumbent maintainer - me - does _not_ have those skills.

You may also want to quantify your remarks: I am using about 50 Perl
extensively customised plugins (all object based including HTML::Parser
clients) along with some of the standard plugins to monitor 370 -
including 40 passive - services on 190 hosts.

I can probably let it run for several weeks (on a 256 MB system with
apache, sendmail etc) before restarting. At that time its memory usage
is about 80 MB.

> Anthony Tonns, UNIX Administrator - atonns at mail.ivillage.com

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft