Review of using Nag to check MS name resolution in AD environments [XP/2k/2k+3] - MS logon names etc.

Thu Feb 26 05:47:18 CET 2004

Dear Folks,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 08:04:38PM -0800, nagios-users-request at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:

> From: "Paul L. Allen" <pla at softflare.com>
> Subject: [Nagios-users] Re: Review of using Nag to check MS name resolution in AD environments [XP/2k/2k+3] - MS logon names etc.
>
> Stanley Hopcroft writes:
>
> > This may be of interest to those wishing to monitor their Micorosft
> > AD/Dynamic DNS installation by ensuring that signficant names (such as
> > the names of domain controllers corresponding to a domain) are resolved
> > as expected.

  .. snip ...

> So, after that Joycian stream-of-consciousness, yeah, go for the SRV.
> My preference is to add an RR type switch and at least enough
> result-mangling switches to allow the MS SRV stuff to be handled.
> Anything else is a bonus.

tsitc> nslookup -querytupe=srv _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.production.prod
-s=x.y.z.t
Server:  foundry.aipo.gov.au
Address:  x.y.z.t

_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.production.prod    priority = 0, weight = 80, port=
389
        host = cbradc02.production.prod
_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.production.prod    priority = 0, weight = 100,
port= 389
        host = cbradc01.production.prod
_msdcs.production.prod  nameserver = cbradc01.production.prod
_msdcs.production.prod  nameserver = cbradc02.production.prod
cbradc02.production.prod        internet address = a.e.g.d
cbradc01.production.prod        internet address = b.e.e.f
tsitc>

tsitc> nslookup -querytupe=a www.ipaustralia.gov.au -s=x.y.z.t
Server:  foundry.aipo.gov.au
Address:  x.y.z.t

Name:    www.ipaustralia.gov.au
Address:  a.b.c.d

tsitc>

The results for srv, mx, and ns RRs looks pretty different from the A
records so maybe check_dns is not the right place (with the current
check_dns approach of interpreting the nslookup output) - unless it is
able to deal with more than non A RRs (such as you mentioned).

Maybe check_dig is a better target for hacks ..

tsitc> dig _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.production.prod srv

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.production.prod srv
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.production.prod, type = SRV, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.production.prod.  10M IN SRV  0 80 389
cbradc02.production.prod.
_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.production.prod.  10M IN SRV  0 100 389
cbradc01.production.prod.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
_msdcs.production.prod.  1H IN NS  cbradc01.production.prod.
_msdcs.production.prod.  1H IN NS  cbradc02.production.prod.

since the output appears more structured.

tsitc> dig www.ipaustralia.gov.au a

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> www.ipaustralia.gov.au a
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      www.ipaustralia.gov.au, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.ipaustralia.gov.au.  16w3d17h46m39s IN A  b.e.e.f

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
ipaustralia.gov.au.     16w3d17h46m39s IN NS  networks2.aipo.gov.au.

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.