Monitor remote networks

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Wed Feb 25 23:33:44 CET 2004

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, David Barnett wrote:

> I am from a consulting company that monitors clients' networks and
> troubleshoots them. I would like to be able to use nagios to monitor the
> networks better, but I am having a problem determining if nagios is
> right for me.  Many of our clients have local networks behind their
> routers, and I would like to monitor each of the workstations that are
> behind the router as well as the router itself.  Can this be done in
> nagios?  Can I set it up so a nsca program sits on each clients'
> computer and listens for commands from my server?  My understanding is
> that the router would not know which of the workstations on the local
> network behind it should be sent the nsca command.  I tried looking it
> up in the documentation, but could not find the specific answer I was
> looking for.  Thank you in advance.

If you are ok with passive monitoring, then nsca is fine.  If you want to
do some active monitoring, then you need access to the remote network.

If there are no NAT issues, you could do it from your primary server, or
you could install a "launch point" on the remote net (nrpe or nrpe_nt) and
run the plugins from there.

--

-sg