Help with Monitoring Remote Networks

David Barnett DavidB at etobin.com
Wed Feb 25 16:05:32 CET 2004

I am from a consulting company that monitors clients' networks and
troubleshoots them. I would like to be able to use nagios to monitor the
networks better, but I am having a problem determining if nagios is
right for me.  Many of our clients have local networks behind their
routers, and I would like to monitor each of the workstations that are
behind the router as well as the router itself.  Can this be done in
nagios?  Can I set it up so a nsca program sits on each clients'
computer and listens for commands from my server?  My understanding is
that the router would not know which of the workstations on the local
network behind it should be sent the nsca command.  I tried looking it
up in the documentation, but could not find the specific answer I was
looking for.  Thank you in advance.