Custom notification problem

Ben Whaley benjamin.whaley at colorado.edu
Tue Feb 24 18:56:02 CET 2004

Greetings all,

I have a rather unique notification problem that I have been unable to find
a way to address. I am checking total processes, imap processes, sendmail
processes, etc, as well as system load. I would like to be notified if a)
load is CRITICAL for 3 checks (max_check_attempts=3) or b) load is CRITICAL
and any other service is CRITICAL for just 1 check (max_check_attempts=1).
Is there any way to set this up?

Here were some of my ideas:

Use event handlers. When load enters SOFT CRITICAL, execute the handler that
checks if any other service is CRITICAL for that host. If so, notify
immediately. The problem is then disabling the notification for when load
and the other service enter their respective HARD states.

Service Dependencies. Have load depend on other services. I didn't think
this one through very carefully because it would require a very large number
of definitions - load depends on every service on every host. Wildcards
wouldn't work in this case.

Anyone have other suggestions?

Regards,
Ben Whaley

--
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever
you hit the target."