nagios as message log server

Matt Pounsett matt.pounsett at cira.ca
Mon Feb 23 18:39:29 CET 2004

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, Neil wrote:

> Since this isn't a service, I can't find a solution on how I can restore
> back the state to OK. Most especially, if the machine that sent this message
> via send_nsca is behind a firewall. Bottomline here, all we want is email
> notification.

If this is a one-time event you're watching for, as opposed to something that
stays in a non-OK state for a period of time, then you'll want to look at the
'volatile' option for the service.  It's designed exactly for that sort of
thing.

If this is something that might be in a non-OK state for some period of time,
then is there not some way you can send a passive OK state at some point
later?  Perhaps you get a later log entry that suggests the service is
recovered which you could trap.

--
Matt Pounsett                 CIRA - Canadian Internet Registration Authority
Technical Support Programmer                    350 Sparks Street, Suite 1110