Nagios scripting question

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Mon Feb 23 12:39:06 CET 2004

Marc Powell writes:

> I'm not familiar with check_smart.pl itself but I presume that the
> command above is going to give you disk utilization for "/dev/hda".

Nope.  SMART is the Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology
built into most modern disks.  It constantly checks the health of the
disk (if you enable it) and can predict (some) failures in advance
(typically giving you 24 hours' warning).  The check_smart plugin
interrogates SMART and lets you know if the drive is unhappy.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support