Nagios causing signal 11 on apache.

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Feb 20 00:05:42 CET 2004

On Thursday, February 19, 2004 3:00 PM, Tim Uckun shared with us:

> > > sshd[61296]: fatal: Read from socket failed: Connection reset by
> > > peer
> >
> > That's what sshd (sometimes) logs when it gets checked by check_ssh.
> > Nothing to worry about.
>
> OK I guess. It seems seems anomalous and I certainly don't like
> seeing that in my logs all day long. Is there a work around or
> something?

Well, think about that for a minute. ssh is telling you that someone
connected, then disconnected without sending any login data. That's
exactly what the check_ssh plugin does. It simply connects to the port
to see if ssh is answering, grabs the version banner then disconnects.
Your alternatives that I can think of on short notice are -
	1) Modify the logging of your ssh daemon such that it doesn't
log these types of failures.
	2) Use or create another type of ssh plugin that either
		a) logs in with a specified username and password then
gracefully disconnects (I'm not aware of one)
		b) use check_by_ssh and authorized_keys to allow for an
unauthed login. Check_by_ssh could run check_dummy and always return
true on success.
	3) use another way of determining that sshd is running (i.e.
look at the process list or something).

Hth,

Marc