Repost: Question regarding availability of hosts ( PERCENT_TOTAL_TIME_UNDETERMINED variable)

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Feb 19 16:50:01 CET 2004

________________________________

From: Phillip.Wilson at gwinnettcounty.com
[mailto:Phillip.Wilson at gwinnettcounty.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2004 7:23 AM
To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Nagios-users] Repost: Question regarding availability of hosts
( PERCENT_TOTAL_TIME_UNDETERMINED variable)

Greetings,
I think I have a problem with either my Nagios configuration or the
server I'm running it on.

The issue I've noticed is that a huge number of my hosts availability
status is "Undetermined"

When I run an Availability report using "avail.cgi" and chose "Hosts" ->
** ALL HOSTS ** -> the last 7 days
I get the resulting grid with the columns:
Host, % Time Up, % Time Down, % Time Unreachable, % Time Undetermined

1) 168 of my hosts have 100.00% in the column "% Time Undetermined"
2) 9 of my hosts have between 98.74% and 99.05% in the column "% Time
Undetermined"

-------

http://www.nagios.org/faqs/viewfaq.php?faq_id=136

Nagios will not lie to you about availability. If it can't determine
what the state of the host/service was at the beginning of your selected
reporting period then it's going to say Undetermined. This is most
apparent with hosts because hosts checks are not done unless a service
on that host fails. No check, no status. When you restart nagios it
injects an artificial Host Up into the logs iff a service on that host
responds OK. That being said, there are a couple of things you can do --

	1) When you generate your report, select 'Assume initial states
-> Yes' and 'First assumed state -> State OK'.
	2) Reload or restart nagios nightly.

--
Marc