Controlling Authentication and What is seen

Brian E. Seppanen seppy at chartermi.net
Thu Feb 19 14:01:58 CET 2004

Hi Folks:

I have netsaint running, and very soon we'll complete our migration to
nagios-1.1 (2).   In our circumstances we have several hundred people that
need to view the tac.cgi and statusmap...etc...   In the past what we have done is
bound a group id to all devices, and set it to null notifications.
People log in with that group ID, they can see all devices,  because they
are a contact for that device.   Anyways, having a group ID is a pain in
the arse because whenever one of those hundreds leaves we have to go
through and update that group ID.   The reason why I never used an * in
authorized_for_all_hosts=*, or authorized_for_all_services=* is because
certain ID's were meant to have a restricted view of the devices out
there.   The idea being that training would be easier if they saw the
devices they were responsible for and nothing else.   So here is the
connundrum.   can I have it both ways?   Can I in my nagios configuration
set authorized_for_all_hosts=* and authorized_for_all_service=*, manage
the individual user accounts for web authentication, and yet still be able
to define a restricted view for certain ids?   Does authorzed_for_all=*
trump a restricted view?

Thanks,

Brian Seppanen
seppy at chartermi.net