tomcat monitoring

Patrick Soltani PSoltani at iitcorporation.com
Wed Feb 18 23:15:10 CET 2004

> you could check via snmp if a process called java is still running.

Security is an issue with snmp for this client, even v3 is not good enough for them :-(.

> or you could check if the ajp/warp port is still open.

Right now just doing that, but it does not verify if the application on that port is working tho. Only the port is open.

> or you could simple write a jsp page (or use an existing
> page) to check via
> your apache box.
> the apache box will talk ajp13/warp (i assume that what you mean with
> binary) for you.

Good point, will look into this.

> or start an httpconnector in tomcat specific for this monitoring.

Yup, monitoring port 8888, but the flaw with this is that it doesn't tell if tomcat application is doing ok, only the port 8888 that talks to tomcat is doing ok.

> or write a script that greps the catalina/ajp/warp logs for
> errors/timestamp-marks.

Seems reasonable to do this.
Many thanx for your input.  Love the nagios mailing list ;-).

Regards,
Patrick Soltani.

> Sam Terburg
> Luna.nl

http://google.com,
etc does not turn up anything useful.

I wonder if anyone has any a pointer, url, etc on Tomcat monitoring via
Nagios.

Thanx and regards,
Patrick Soltani.

any issue.