# 3rd post re problems

Joe nagios at fastmail.fm
Wed Feb 18 20:31:25 CET 2004

Don't know if I missed any replies but was wondering if anyone on this list
has any suggestions to two annoying problems:

>I am monitoring a remote network via a Suse box on a broadbank connection. I
>am using the following command to check two DNS servers on the remote host:
>
># 'check_dns_long' command definition
>define command{
>         command_name    check_dns_long
>         command_line    $USER1$/check_dns -H www.yahoo.com -s
> $HOSTADDRESS$ -t
>60
>         }
>
>I have noticed that some times that Nagios 1.2 with the 1.3.o plugisn has
>shown that the DNS servers are find even though the connection to these
>servers from my linux box is down. Nagios shows that the address of
>www.yahoo.com resolves to <null> yet there is no error condition raised for
>the DNS check even though the other service checks for the server are showing
>that the link to the server is down.
>
>Why is DNS check above not  always raising the error condition?

Nagios is doing it again. The DNS servers went down and the remote
monitoring computer shows:

DNS ok - 10 seconds response time, Address(es) is/are (null)

Also Nagios is sending two HOSTS up messages for the servers being monitored.

Any one have an idea why is Nagios doing this?