Notification problem (3rd attempt)

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Feb 18 18:12:34 CET 2004

On Wednesday, February 18, 2004 9:57 AM, nagios at acmecargo.com shared
with us:

> Does anyone at least have an idea for me please?
>
> I am having a problem getting my notifications working. I see the
> service notification go through on the log but I never see the
> message being sent through the outgoing mail log file nor do I get
> the email of course. Feb  6 17:39:15 src at sysmon nagios: SERVICE
> NOTIFICATION:
> contactname;temp_probe1;Central DC
> temp;WARNING;notify-phone-by-email;Temp
> Warning: Probe 3 = 71.1 F

Can you (re)send your entire contact group definition for 'contactname',
the entire definitions for the contacts within that group and your
entire command definition for 'notify-phone-by-email' as well as the
matching time-period definitions? It's ok to replace email addresses for
privacy.

> I can send a message manually simulating what is in my
> misccommands.cfg.
> The actual line says:
> /usr/bin/printf "%b $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ $SERVICEDESC$ $HOSTALIAS$
> $SERVICESTATE$ $DATETIME$ Info:$OUTPUT$" | /bin/mail -s ALERT
> $CONTACTEMAIL$ I try the following: /usr/bin/printf "This is a test"
> | /bin/mail -s "Test Subject" user at domain.com and I see it process in
> my mail log and I receive the email.

To cover basic issues, did you test this as the nagios user?

> Why is it that Nagios is logging the Service Notification but it is
> never submitted to the local sendmail daemon?

There could be a number of reasons. Invalid contactgroup or contact
definitions, notification attempted outside prescribed notification
windows, nagios doesn't have permission to access /bin/mail or other
required program or library, sendmail is rejecting messages from nagios,
etc... I'm sure there are more.

--
Marc