Permission for CGI config files.

Patrick Soltani PSoltani at iitcorporation.com
Wed Feb 18 02:03:54 CET 2004

Hi,
First check to make sure there is no process or zombie process of any kind that is using port 80. From your writing, I am guessing you're on some distro of Linux.  If that's the case, you can do "netstat -nap" and see if any process is using port 80. If using FreeBSD, you can do "sockstat -l4".

You need to kill all the processes that listen on 80 and only then your apache should start.  If you do this manually, it should complain both on the console and log files of apache.  If this is happening more than a couple of times a month, then you have a bigger problem.  Check your machine for any sign of problem with disk, config errors, warning in logs....  On the extreme side of this, I'd suggest to make sure that your command files are not trojaned.  Make sure your "ps" is a good "ps" installed from the CD.

Hope this get you started ;-).

Regards,
Patrick Soltani.