Authentication Problems

Mark Campbell mark at redbrick.dcu.ie
Tue Feb 17 16:26:56 CET 2004

Hey Guys,

	Been trying to get this working for a while now with no success.  I
downloaded the new version of Nagios(1.2) and installed it to run as the same
user as my webserver.  It compiled and installed without any problems on my
SunOS5.9 box.  I am using Apache2.0.48.  I then did a minimal config just to
test the system before I go planning out the whole network.  Everything seems
to be in order except that despite logging in via http, nagios doesn't seem to
recognise the user I logged in as.  It gives me the error "Logged in as ?" in
the top left hand corner of most pages.  As well as "It appears as though you
do not have permission to view information for any of the services you
requested..." type messages on overview and summary pages..

I created the .htaccess and the htpasswd files as I normally would on the
system.

# cat httppassword
admin:djaskyicya

# cat /usr/local/nagios/share/.htaccess
AuthName "Nagios Access"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /usr/local/nagios/etc/httppassword
require valid-user

I have an "admin" user specificed in the nagios contacts.cfg file
[contacts.cfg]
define contact{
        contact_name                    admin
        alias                           Nagios Admin
        service_notification_period     24x7
        host_notification_period        24x7
        service_notification_options    w,u,c,r
        host_notification_options       d,u,r
        service_notification_commands   notify-by-email
        host_notification_commands      host-notify-by-email
        email                           mark at redbrick.dcu.ie
}

and I have the following in my cgi.cfg
[cgi.cfg]
use_authentication=1
authorized_for_system_information=admin
authorized_for_configuration_information=admin
authorized_for_system_commands=admin
authorized_for_all_services=admin
authorized_for_all_hosts=admin

I've been reading through the documentation, however I can't see any stage
which I have left out.  If anyone has any idea's or suggestions I would
appreciate any advise on how I could solve this problem.  Thanks in advance
for your time..

--
regards,
	-mark