Kernel Ooops on Nagios Server

Matthias Eichler mylists at ame.de
Tue Feb 17 15:26:01 CET 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 11:19, w.pfeiffer at enbw.com wrote:
> What makes you think the problem is Nagios related?  E.g., did
> you recently change the Nagios configuration / upgrade Nagios?
> (If you did, could you provide more details?)

First it is really just an dedicated monitoring, so it reduces the
number of other possibilities.
Secondly we changed the config recently this day, better to say, we
had to change the config this day a lot of days.

What we did? We just changed the monitoring command of some hosts
from check_nrpep to check_by_ssh.

> My first guess would be that it's not a Nagios but a HW problem,
> probably faulty RAM or a dying HD.

I made some hardware diagnostics, because I thought of this too,
there is no memory problem (also no cpu cache problem) and all
the other hardware seems to be ok, the disc, the busses, the NICs.

> Do you still get the oopses if you don't run Nagios and start
> some dummy processes to keep the system busy instead?

To be honest, I didn't try because we can not "live without this"
box ;-)

Thanks,

Matthias Eichler