monitoring not working...

prabhu.anandh at wipro.com prabhu.anandh at wipro.com
Fri Feb 13 13:21:57 CET 2004

hi guys,
nagios is running in my system with your help.i have problem in viewing
the monitoring services.
when i click the tactical overview ,service detail ,host detail (all
that comes under monitoring) i webpage displays this message.what will
be the problem.please help me to overcome this problem.

Whoops!

Error: Could not read host and service status information!

The most common cause of this error message (especially for new users),
is the fact that Nagios is not actually running. If Nagios is indeed not
running, this is a normal error message. It simply indicates that the
CGIs could not obtain the current status of hosts and services that are
being monitored. If you've just installed things, make sure you read the
documentation on starting Nagios.

Some other things you should check in order to resolve this error
include:

1.	Check the Nagios log file for messages relating to startup or
status data errors.

2.	Always verify configuration options using the -v command-line
option before starting or restarting Nagios!

3.	Make sure you've compiled the main program and the CGIs to use
the same status data storage options (i.e. text file or database). If
the main program is storing status data in a text file and the CGIs are
trying to read status data from a database, you'll have problems.

my lab setup:
nagios is running in A
and it is monitoring B and C
and in reporting i can view alert history,alert summary and
notification.

thanks in advance.

regards,
Prabhu Anandh