Killer example (FAQ material) Was: check_log not working properly (Jim Mozley)

Thu Feb 12 22:14:30 CET 2004

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

 .. snip ..

> From: Jim Mozley <jim.mozley at exponential-e.com>
> Subject: [Nagios-users] Re: check_log not working properly

 .. snip ..

> Better late than never I hope. The following is a setup for using
> syslog-ng, swatch and a script to pass passive events into Nagios. This
> is based on getting syslog messages from a set of network devices,
> although the same principle would apply to hosts. I've tried to make the
> example fairly generic, for instance we generate the nagios config for
> this automatically from device configurations, so please don't
> copy/paste this without understanding what's going on.

.. Extremly well presented and readable description of
.. having Swatch log monitoring raise Nag alerts
.. (see the archives).

That this is a such a useful example of Nagios integration with other
software (Swatch in this case) that it deserves a place in the FAQ - 'I
don't want to use check_log, what alternatives are there'.

(In case you were unaware, Mr Galstad wrote an FAQ submitter that lets
people contribute answers).

In any case, thank you very much for your work in writing this
comprehensive, lucid and helpful description of the process required to
have Swatch logfile monitoring raise Nag passive service check alerts.

(FWIW, I found Swatch didn't suit me at all despite a number of
attempts. It is obviously an important product but I started to feel
the same way about it as Excel: great software but it
always does strange things in my hands.

Sec on the other hand is slow to start but very predictable).

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.