Nagios, nrpe and Solaris

Greig Charles Charles.Greig at gerrard.com
Thu Feb 12 09:57:31 CET 2004

I'm getting the dreaded "CHECK_NRPE: Error - Could not complete SSL
handshake." error between a Mandrake Nagios host (1.2) and a Solaris 8
client.

I've looked at the FAQ and made sure that openssl versions are identical
(0.9.7c), NRPE is the same version (just installed on both), file
permissions are correct and /dev/random is installed and world readable on
the Solaris box.

NRPE is running under inetd with the following config line:
nrpe    stream  tcp     nowait  nagios /usr/sbin/nrpe   /usr/sbin/nrpe -c
/etc/nrpe.cfg --inetd

I'm using "check_nrpe!check_total_procs" as the command in services.cfg

Are there any other obvious "gotchas" that I should be looking for?

The contents of this message and any attachments are confidential and
are intended solely for the attention and use of the addressee only.
Information contained in this message may be subject to legal,
professional or other privilege or may otherwise be protected by other
legal rules. This message should not be copied or forwarded to any other
person without the express permission of the sender. If you are not the
intended recipient you are not authorised to disclose, copy, distribute
or retain this message or any part of it.

If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender by
telephone (+44-20-7002-4000) and destroy the original message.

We reserve the right to monitor all e-mail messages passing through our
network.

Gerrard Limited is authorised and regulated by The Financial Services
Authority and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered
Office: Old Mutual Place, 2 Lambeth Hill, London EC4V 4GG. Registered
in England No.2752982.

Gerrard Limited is a subsidiary of Barclays Bank PLC.