Secure network

jeff vier jeff.vier at tradingtechnologies.com
Thu Feb 12 01:56:46 CET 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 16:38, Penny Keeffe wrote:
> I would love to be more specific but alas I cannot.  I
> basically need to know this:  while monitoring a
> secure network how accessible is it from the outside.
> I really wish I could be more specific I know it would
> help you guys out with what I am asking.  Ask me
> questions if you can think of any and if I can I will
> answer them.

If your network is perfectly secure, nagios is perfectly secure.
If your network is full of holes, I imagine someone would probably
exploit it another way besides nagios.

Nagios isn't going to add insecurity, assuming you're not doing
something ridiculous (checking on servers across public lines with
administrator-level passwords in open text).

If it's a closed network you're monitoring, I'd say you're quite safe.

Banks and other financial institutions trust it - is your stuff more
sensitive than that?

Regardless, it's open source.  If you want your engineers to review the
code to insure it's not some devious trojan, feel free.