problem with passive checks

Jon Neher jneher at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Mon Feb 9 19:14:13 CET 2004

We are running a combination of active and passive service checks (via
nsca) and have run into a weird problem.  When starting up nagios
with no previous state saved, it schedules active service checks for
our passive service checks even though active_checks_enabled is
explicity set to 0 in all the service def's for our passive checks.

Since nagios makes us supply a "dummy" check_command for each of
our passive service definitions, when this scheduled active check runs,
it inevitably fails since it's a dummy command.  This caused a flurry
of "SOFT" active checks for the service a wreaks havok with our
notifications and status screens since when ever an active check
fails, a critical problem is flagged for the service, then as the
passive checks come in,  it looks OK for a while, until another one
fo the "SOFT" active checks returns an error.

Does anyone know a way around this?

Thanks,

Jon

Computing Center			Internet: jneher at darkwing.uoregon.edu
University of Oregon		        WWW http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~jneher
Eugene, OR 97403-1212			Amateur Radio: N7WNX
Voice: (541) 346-1731
Fax: (541) 346-4397