Unclear on mapping of passive checks to state changes

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Sat Feb 7 13:32:50 CET 2004

    Stanley> ... and apply any necessary business logic (don't bother if
    Stanley> it's a staff card that opens the door unless its the reactor
    Stanley> door [open the door, Hal]) before submitting passive service
    Stanley> checks to Nag (maybe with NCSA)

I'm more than a bit unclear on how passive checks of stuff like logfiles are
supposed to work.  If I monitor a condition actively (let's say, whether or
not my web server is responding), that condition remains present and the
state remains at critical or warning until the problem causing it is
resolved (server restarted, network problem resolved, etc).

If I'm monitoring a logfile and see

    2004-02-07 door opened by skip without auth code

a passive check might report that condition.  How is that turned into a
warning or critical condition?  That's presumably only going to occur one
time though.  Since it's a report of a one-time event, not a long-term state
change to the system, how is the system supposed to know when to change the
state back to ok?

Thx,

--
Skip Montanaro