host down ...

w.pfeiffer at enbw.com w.pfeiffer at enbw.com
Fri Feb 6 14:43:38 CET 2004

Danny García Hernández wrote:
> Hello List.
>
> Some day ago i was asking in this list for a problem about HOST DOWN
> message in my Nagios Setup.
>
> The message said.
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Helo List.
>
> I´m a begginer with Nagios 1.2 and sorry for the gurus in
> this list, but i have the commom begginer´s problem.
> Host show like DOWN when really are UP,
> command sending to this host /bin/ping -n -U -c 1 192.168.1.5  return
> packets. Then HTTP and PING service are failing getting me a
> "CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after 10 seconds " errors.
> Can any body help me?
>
> Is necesary activate external command to verify host status?
>
> Thank in Advanced
> Danny
>
> ---------------------------------------
>
> Please, can any body help me?

There's no need to apologize to the 'gurus', helping Nagios users
is what this list is all about.  However, to allow us to help you,
you must provide more information.  E.g.:

- When you say that a host is shown as DOWN, do you have problems only with
  this host (i.e., is the status for your other hosts displayed correctly)?
- What is your host config for host 192.168.1.5?
- What are your service checks for that host?
- What are your check command definitions?
- Does Nagios yield any warnings when you check the config with the -v
option?
- Did you run the Nagios plugins _as the Nagios user_ on the command line?
  What was their exact output?
- Are you sure that the IP in the host definition is correct?
- Did you try out some suggestions from the FAQ?  What was the result?

I'm afraid I don't understand your following question:
> Is necesary activate external command to verify host status?
What part of the documentation are you referring to?
What did you try?  Then what happened?

HTH, kind regards,
Wolfram Pfeiffer

PS:
It's perfectly OK if you don't understand all of the Nagios documentation
now.
It's huge, and some things won't make sense until after you've played around

with the Nagios config for a while.