Cisco: Configuration save

Peter Hicks Peter.Hicks at POGGS.CO.UK
Fri Feb 6 08:14:27 CET 2004

Steinbacher Manfred wrote:

> I have many Cisco Systems (Routers and Switches).
>
> Does anyone known that I can save the configuration of these system with
> nagios?
>
> I also want to known which mac-addresses are in my network. We have same
> VLAN`s.
>
> Can I do this with Nagios or any other tool?

Try the attached script, ios-copy.pl.  You will have to hack it around a
bit, as I wrote it and just pulled straight from one of our NOC boxes.
In particular, you'll need to work out how to pass SNMP community
strings without using a database.

The core functionality's there, its just a case of modifying it to work
outside NETMAN.  I might get to do this some day.

For monitoring MAC addresses on your LAN, look at the BRIDGE-MIB and in
particular the dot1dTpFdbTable, which contains a list of MAC addresses
and their corresponding switch ports.  I have scripts that will
automagically poll devices and record their bridge table, as well as
getting updates from the CISCO-MAC-NOTIFICATION-MIB traps.  This is in
less of a "I can email it to you" state because it doesn't work at the
moment.

Hope the attached script helps - email it back to me if you make any
changes and I'll incorporate them in to NETMAN (with credit).

Best wishes,

Peter.