small issue on SMTP

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Feb 5 18:15:09 CET 2004

Neil <mailto:neil-on-nagios at restricted.dyndns.org> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I have a small issue with SMTP. We have a dedicated smtp server. So
> for my nagios to send out notification, I needed to configure Postfix
> locally and have transport_maps point to our gateway. Works like a
> charm.
>
> I was just wondering if there is an area in Nagios that I have missed
> wherein we can directly specify an SMTP ip address. With this kind of
> solution, I don't need any mail function locally.

Nagios isn't an MTA and doesn't speak SMTP so it doesn't have that
capability built in. To do so would require a nice amount of coding to
handle the SMTP transaction, queueing, redelivery, failure processing,
etc, that are already done better by dedicated applications. That being
said, there are a couple of other options besides configuring a full
install of Postfix that may be interesting to you.
http://www.nagios.org/faqs/viewfaq.php?faq_id=150 has more info.

--
Marc