Cisco: Configuration save

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Thu Feb 5 17:24:47 CET 2004

I've seen a couple of posts that say Nagios isn't designed for either of
these tasks. While this may be true for the mac-address portion of the
post, I'm not so sure about the configurations save. I've written a
shell script that uses SNMP to TFTP configs from all my Cisco equipment
to the box that hosts Nagios. It runs from cron daily, and a second
script archives the configs regularly as well. It's kind of a pain to
edit this script every time a new device is added or removed. Now, if
there was a Nagios check that would do this for me, it would be much
easier.

This would sort of be the reverse of what Nagios is designed for,
although I disagree that it would be totally outside of the design
parameters. Currently, Nagios can check a service, and if it reports
Warning or Critical, we can then run an event handler. The type of
plugin that I'm thinking about would run an event handler (to tftp the
config) and then report status based on the output. This seems both
reasonable and possible to me. The only problem is that check_snmp is
designed to use the SNMPGET command, whereas SNMPSET would be needed in
order to tell the switch/router to TFTP its config.

I don't really know C (yet) although I plan to muck around with
check_snmp.c and see if I can create a new plugin to perform these
tasks.

Comments/suggestions?

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.308.6228 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)