How to monitor a router

Mauro mauog at interfree.it
Wed Feb 4 09:03:49 CET 2004

Hallo all, I'd like to know how to insert correctly a router in my nagios
configuration.
Actually I inserted router like an host that has in  "address" statement its
two IP (corresponding to its two interfaces) separated by comma.
But when I have a problem on router I can't see any network outages even it
is configured as parent of some hosts and I get status critical messages
from all "sons" hosts.
Do You know which is best way to manage a router?

Thank You

Mauro