services and hosts time

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Feb 3 23:00:43 CET 2004

On Tuesday, February 03, 2004 3:12 PM, Paul L. Allen shared with us:

> Neil writes:
>
> > To anyone, would you also recommended me setting max_check_attempts
> > to 2 in each of my hosts in hosts.cfg and likewise the
> > notification_interval to 5?
>
> Pings get lost.  Routers are allowed to discard pings if they are
> busy.
> Pings can also take a long time to return if the network is saturated
> even if routers aren't dropping them.  If you want lots of e-mails
> about hosts going down and recovering then go ahead and make your
> change.

The flip side of this is that within Nagios, all other processing stops
until the status of a questionable host is definitively determined. If
it takes 1 minute to complete all the check attempts then nothing else
will happen during that 1 minute; no new service checks, no
notifications, no processing of service checks that are waiting to turn
in their results, etc. It's generally recommended to keep the number of
actual pings low and a max_checks that you are comfortable with. Each
network is different and what is acceptable to you might be different
that what is acceptable to someone else.

--
Marc