Problems with restarting service

Chris Mason lists at masonc.com
Mon Feb 2 19:05:55 CET 2004

I have a server on which I am running nagios and a service similar to httpd.

I want to restart the service should it stop responding.

As a test, I have used httpd.

Nagios is configured as follows:
/etc/nagios/services.cfg

        check_command                   check_http
        event_handler                   restart-httpd

/etc/nagios/checkcommands.cfg
# 'check_http' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_http
        command_line    $USER1$/check_http -H $HOSTADDRESS$
        }

/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/eventhandlers/restart_httpd
                        # Call the init script to restart the HTTPD server
                        sudo /etc/init.d/httpd restart

I have sudo'ed the nagios user "nagios" as follows
# Cmnd alias specification
Cmnd_Alias      HTTP = /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd restart

NAGUSERS        localhost=NOPASSWD: HTTP

If I su to nagios, I can execute the restart.

Nagios tries to execute it, but the message is:
Feb  2 13:22:38 slimp3server sudo(pam_unix)[15754]: authentication failure;
logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty= ruser= rhost=  user=nagios

And the command is not executed.

Any ideas?

Chris Mason
masonc at masonc.com
Box 340, The Valley, Anguilla, British West Indies
Yahoo IM: netconcepts_anguilla at yahoo.com
264 497-5670 Fax: 264 497-8463
www.netconcepts.ai