does anyone have an example of using check_snmp?

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Sun Feb 1 22:52:15 CET 2004

stan writes:

> Yhey are directly rechable, and I will be using snmp on them to provide
> data for cricket. So I think it makes sense to use check_snmp.

If you have enabled SNMP on them then it is probably sensible.  For
some values of sensible.

> So, once again, can anyone point me to an example of how to use thsi
> tool?

First thing to try is check_snmp -h.  Second thing to try is googling
for check_snmp.  Third thing to try is using one of the other plugins...

It might appear sensible to use check_snmp, but if you cannot find anything
that lets you figure out how to use it then maybe one of the other plugins
is a better option.  Every time I have ever looked at SNMP, the words
"camel", "committee" and the phrase "that smells like festering camel
poo" have always come to mind.  YMMV.  Note that I am probably completely
wrong on that since John Postel was deeply involved in SNMP MIBs, and he
forgot more about the Internet than I could hope to learn in several
lifetimes.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support