check_log not working properly

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Sun Feb 1 21:26:38 CET 2004

Neil writes:

> Hi people,
>
> Any other alternatives to check_log?

Check_log2.  I looked at both many months ago and concluded that
check_log2 was slightly less bad than check_log but that I wouldn't want
to run either of them on a production system with large logs.

I can see several different ways of fixing it if you have only one
monitoring host (so no redundant checking) but no easy way of handling
redundant monitoring that isn't a major resource hog and is simple to
code.  The best I can think of right now is a daemon that effectively tails
the log (intelligently, so it spots log rotation), records the last n
seconds of entries and responds to queries on a unix socket from a
companion plugin.  Although that is not too complicated in itself, adding
protection against the daemon dying (for whatever reason) or detecting
that it has died (simplified a little only if you keep all your servers
synched to the correct time with NTP) starts to complicate things.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support