Broken HTML in Tactical Monitoring Overview with Mozilla

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Sun Feb 1 21:16:05 CET 2004

Sven Sternberger writes:

> i'm a litte bit amazed that the page "Tactical Monitoring Overview" is
> broken in Mozilla.

Konqueror too.

> Has anybody analyzed the issue. The under the column "Critical Service"
> is also the display for "Warning Service",

I don't see any columns with headings, what I see is that the width of
the critical services is about 75% of the allocated width.

> this looks like a wrong colspan.

Why not view the source to see if your guess is correct?  I looked at
the source just now and that does not appear to be the problem.  There
are five columns of width 125 pixels in a table of width 641 pixels.  They
should be of equal sizes.  Usually, when Mozilla and Konqueror screw up
like this, it is because there is some invalid HTML before the thing that
screws up and they get confused.  I'd try to figure out what the problem
is but I started on the wine early tonight.  I'd have tried to figure out
what the problem was before now, but 99.99999999% of our clients use IE
(where it's OK) and I personally never found the Tactical page to be
particularly appealing (I use Mozilla, where it's broken, but since I
never look at it I don't care).

> The evil IE has no problems with the page.

Which is another sign of broken HTML earlier in the page.  You could try
running it through the W3C validator...

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support