host down -> flapping -> host up -> no host up notificatoin

Ralf Gross Ralf-Lists at RalfGross.de
Fri Dec 31 11:05:09 CET 2004

Hi,

I use the nagios flap detection feature. Last week I got a host down
notification, I was not in the office, so I waited a few minutes for a
host up notification, but I got none. Then I asked a colleague by phone
what the state of this host really is. The host was up and ok. Next day I
discovered the flapping message in the logfile, the host state was down
and then changed to the flapping state.
I found the following about flap detection in the docs:

|1. Log a message indicating that the service or host is flapping
|2. Add a non-persistent comment to the host or service indicating
|   that it is flapping
|3. Supress notifications for the service or host (this is one of the filters
|   in the notification logic)
|
|When a service or host stops flapping, Nagios will do the following:
|
|1. Log a message indicating that the service or host has stopped flapping
|2. Delete the comment that was originally added to the service or host when
|   it started flapping
|3. Remove the block on notifications for the service or host (notifications
|   will still be bound to the normal notification logic)

If I understand this right, there is no way to get a host up notification,
if the host was down at moment the flap detection happend? That's a bit
anoying, especially when you are not in the office.
I took a quick look at the nagios 2.x docs
| Flapping notifications - Notifications are now sent out when flapping
| starts and stops for hosts and services. This feature can be controlled
| using the f option in the notification_options for contacts, hosts and
| services.

Is there any way to realize this with nagios 1.2? Maybe and existing patch?

If not, is nagios 2.0b1 (still called beta release) stable enough for
production environment?
How complicated is an update from 1.2 to 2.0b1, especially the config files?

TIA

Ralf