"No Output" from plugin

Lewis Getschel lgetschel at denver.westerngeco.slb.com
Thu Dec 30 22:14:55 CET 2004

All-
I'm running 1.2. It's worked great since I inherited it and have gotten
up-to-speed on Nagios. I have 1157 systems & 1378 services being monitored.
   I decided to write my own plugin to check the disk arrays we are
running on a number of systems. (I'm using snmpget and snmpwalk to
gather stats.)

I wrote it in /bin/tcsh for various reasons, mostly because I works well
for me (and I don't know perl or c). The actual script doesn't matter
here, because Nagios will NOT  run anything that uses tcsh as far as I
can tell. It just returns (No Output!).

Here is the current plugin TEST script:
#!/bin/tcsh
echo $0 >> /tmp/nagios_event_debug.txt
echo $1 >> /tmp/nagios_event_debug.txt
echo OK - tcsh
exit 3

Nice and simple. When I run it as the nagios user from command line, it
runs fine and logs itself into the tmp file.
When it is run as a plugin from the system, it only returns the No
Output!, and nothing is logged.

If I change the script shell to #!/bin/sh instead, it DOES log itself
and returns the echo values just fine from both the command line and the
system.

1) Can anyone figure a way to get it to run properly under tcsh. And
maybe explain why?
or 2) Could someone confirm that this won't run on your system too,  (to
verify my sanity) [on this point at least <smile>]

Thanks for any help
Lewis