check_nt

Phil Costelloe philc at foundation-it.com
Thu Dec 30 10:47:05 CET 2004

Nagios wrote:
> Hi NG
>
> I would like to monitor check the average delivered Mails from our
> Exchange.
> So I use the command:
>
> /usr/local/libexec/nagios/check_nt -H xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -v COUNTER -l
> "\\MSExchangeIS Mailbox\\Messages Delivered/min"
>
> But I get always 0 back. Even if the performance counter on the
> Windows machine shows 10 or more.
>
> What is wrong on my query?

If there is more than one instance of the counter (which you can find
out from the right hand side of the Add Counters dialog in the Windows
Performance monitor), you have to specify it in the counter definition.
That is the case with this counter, there's a value for each storage
group plus a total for the whole of Exchange.

To get the total, your command should be:

/usr/local/libexec/nagios/check_nt -H xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -v COUNTER -l
"\\MSExchangeIS Mailbox(_Total)\\Messages Delivered/min"

Replace _Total with the name of the storage group from the counters
dialog if you want individual rates.

Our Exchange server isn't busy enough at the moment to test that in any
meaningful way but it should work. :)

Phil