check_icmp v0.8

Jamie Baddeley jamie.baddeley at vpc.co.nz
Wed Dec 29 21:32:39 CET 2004

I've noticed that when check_icmp checks a host that results in ICMP
unreachables, the ICMP unreachable messages spill over* into other check
results (specifically status information) for other hosts...Which I am
fairly sure is not desirable.. I also notice from CLI that for the host
in question, for 5 pings, 5 ICMP unreachable messages are produced (over
and above the check result)

* "spill over" - I see the icmp unreachable result e.g "ICMP Unreachable
from 161.65.1.x for ICMP Echo sent to 10.16.0.x"  for a icmp check to
10.16.0.x - Right now I have a host down (at 161.65.7.x)  that is
reached via 161.65.1.x. This is fine. But the odd thing is I have a
completely different check testing 10.16.0.x  that has nothing in common
with the 161.65.1.x route, and as you can  see, nagios or check_icmp
seems to mix things up.

The actual result isn't messed with (10.16.0.x is reported as OK) - just
the status information...

testing with redirects seems to suggest the output is standard out, not
standard error.

Shouldn't check_icmp only result in one line of extra status info (i.e
icmp unreachable etc) *following* the actual result (i.e CRITICAL -
161.65.7.x is down)?

Am I smoking crack or is this a bug?

noc:~# /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_icmp -H 161.65.7.x -w 10,10 -c
20,20 -n 1 -r 1 2>/dev/null

ICMP Unreachable from 161.65.1.xxx for ICMP Echo sent to 161.65.7.x
ICMP Unreachable from 161.65.1.xxx for ICMP Echo sent to 161.65.7.x
CRITICAL - 161.65.7.x is down (lost 100%)|rta=;10;20;; pl=100%;10;20;;
noc:~#

cheers

jamie

--