Nagios + Logsurfer or Swatch?

Emmett Hogan EmmettH at Examen.com
Wed Dec 29 18:55:16 CET 2004

Thanks for the suggestions from everyone on this.

Most folks pointed me to check_log2.pl in the contrib directory of the
plugins distribution.  check_log2 is great for two reasons: 1) It's
written in PERL, so I can hack on it, 2) it takes regular expressions,
so you can bundle mutilple checks in one pass.

However, the major drawback to it, is that it returns only two states:
OK, or WARNING.  There are some log messages which I would consider
CRITICAL.  So, unless someone has a better suggestion...I think I will
hack check_log2 to take parameters like this:

check_log2.pl -l <log_file> -s <log_seek_file> -cp <pattern> [-cn

Where "-cp" and "-cn" indicate the CRITICAL patterns to look for, and
"-wp" and "-wn" are the WARNING patterns.

Anybody see any potential problems with that?

-Emmett

--
================ Examen, Inc. ================
Emmett Hogan
emmetth at examen.com
==== Outside Counsel Management Solutions ====

CONFIDENTIAL -  PRIVILEGED INFORMATION
This e-mail may include confidential, trade secret or legally
privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient,
please do not read, copy, use, distribute or disclose this
communication to anyone other than the intended recipient. Please
notify the sender of any error in transmission or delivery and
delete any misdirected e-mail from your system.