Issues with nagios 2.0

Luca Corti cortez at tiscali.it
Wed Dec 29 10:25:39 CET 2004

Hello,

I've installed nagios from cvs HEAD and have a few issues.

I'm on Debian woody. Nagios is compiled with standard options.

I've installed nagios in /usr/local/nagios, user and group is 'nagios',
user for CGI commands is 'nagios', i've put the apache user (www-data)
in the nagios group. Apache is configured as shown in the nagios
documentation.

The configuration seems to be valid when checked with nagios -v. THe
logfile displays no errors.

I've successfully started nagios one time, and both daemon and interface
seemed to work fine.

Issues:

1) When stopping the daemon from init.d three nagios processes remain
running. If I reissue /etc/init.d/nagios stop it it complains about the
missing lockfile, but some nagios processes are still there.

2) After having killed the stale processes I've tried to restart nagios.
The daemon starts but the CGIs are not available and display:

Warning: Could not read program status information!

I've noticed that no status.dat file is created in the var/ directory.
I've checked for permissions on the files and directories.

/usr/local/nagios# ls -l
total 6
drwxrwsr-x    2 nagios   nagios        128 Dec 28 18:34 bin
drwxrwsr-x    2 nagios   nagios        720 Dec 29 10:06 etc
drwxr-sr-x    2 nagios   nagios        128 Dec 28 20:42 eventhandlers
drwxr-sr-x    2 root     nagios       1968 Dec 28 18:42 libexec
drwxrwsr-x    2 nagios   nagios        584 Dec 28 18:45 sbin
drwxrwsr-x    9 nagios   nagios        392 Dec 28 18:44 share
drwxrwsr-x    4 nagios   nagios        288 Dec 29 10:07 var

/usr/local/nagios/var# l -l
total 277
drwxrwsr-x    2 nagios   nagios         48 Dec 28 18:34 archives
-rw-rw-r--    1 nagios   nagios        240 Dec 28 18:46 comments.dat
-rw-rw-r--    1 nagios   nagios        241 Dec 28 18:46 downtime.dat
-rw-r--r--    1 nagios   nagios          6 Dec 29 10:07 nagios.lock
-rw-r--r--    1 nagios   nagios       1064 Dec 29 10:07 nagios.log
-rw-r--r--    1 nagios   nagios     264790 Dec 29 10:07 objects.cache
-rw-r--r--    1 nagios   nagios          0 Dec 29 10:07 retention.dat
drwxrwsr-x    2 nagios   nagios         80 Dec 29 10:07 rw

/usr/local/nagios/var/rw# ls -l
total 0
prw-rw----    1 nagios   nagios          0 Dec 29 10:07 nagios.cmd

I'm really out of ideas.

thanks

Luca

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message and its attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender immediately, delete this message and do not disclose the contents to any other person, do not use it for any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium.