Status Unknown w/check_by_ssh. Command line OK.

Scott Zak ZakS at so.ct.edu
Mon Dec 27 19:23:58 CET 2004

It's doing what it is supposed to do -- returning zero.

That is also the return when running check_by_ssh on the nagios box.

Scott

----- Forwarded by Scott Zak/IST/CSUSO on 12/27/04 01:18 PM -----

D Brian Hendrix <dhendrix2 at csc.com>
12/27/04 12:57 PM

        To:     "Scott Zak" <ZakS at sysoff.ctstateu.edu>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: [Nagios-users] Status Unknown w/check_by_ssh.  Command line OK.

Scott,

When you run the command on the Sun box, what is the error code returned?

Use the following command:
> echo $?

You should get a zero (0) if successful, or a one (1) or higher if not
successful.

Brian Hendrix
Senior System Administrator - DCI
IT/9KIDD, Baptist Hospital
2000 Church Street, Nashville, TN    37062
(615) 284-5297 work
(615) 222-1704 fax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Whatever you do, do your work heartily,
as for the Lord rather than for men
- Colossians 3:23
~~~ ><> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

             "Scott Zak"
             <ZakS at sysoff.ctst
             ateu.edu>                                                  To

             Sent by:                  nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
             nagios-users-admi                                          cc

             n at lists.sourcefor
             ge.net                                                Subject

                                       [Nagios-users] Status Unknown
                                       w/check_by_ssh.  Command line OK.
             12/27/2004 11:52
             AM

Hi ,

I'm setting up check_by_ssh to invoke a script via forced command on a
remote server to check a service status.  The script returns the correct
status on the server where it lives, and when I run check_by_ssh on the
command-line, all is well.  Nagios runs the remote command (and displays
the contents of stdout on the status detail page), but the status always
comes back 'Unknown'.

Command-line:
[nagios at nagios1]$ libexec/check_by_ssh -H 149.152.10.183 -l remoteuser -i
/path/to/rsa/identity_key  -C 'LDAP'
LDAP daemon is running.

When nagios runs the service check, the same 'LDAP daemon is running.'
message appears in the status information, but the status is nevertheless
marked as hard  'UNKNOWN'.

Here's checkcommands.cfg:

define command{
        command_name    check-cp-ldap
        command_line    $USER1$/check_by_ssh -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -l
remoteuser
-i /path/to/rsa/identity_key -C 'LDAP'
}

This is the status log entry:
[1104169159]
SERVICE;soluminis1;LDAP;UNKNOWN;3/3;HARD;1104169025;1104169205;ACTIVE;
1;1;1;1104157840;0;UNKNOWN;3706;335959;419;530;1104165074;2;1;0;1;1;0;0.00;0;1;1;1;LDAP
 daemon is running.

Nagios is running on RH Linux, and the target host is Solaris 9.  Nagios'
SSH is OpenSSH and the Solaris box is running Sun_SSH_1.0, protocol
versions 1.5/2.0.  The remote script worked correctly when monitoring
services on a Solaris 8 box which was running SSH Secure Shell
(non-commercial license).  Check_by_ssh is from nagios-plugins
1.4.0alpha1,
version 1.18.

What am I not seeing?  It's probably some bonehead maneuver on my part,
but
has anyone else run into (and found their way around) this?

Scott Zak
Connecticut State University System.

contains
information that is confidential and/or legally privileged. The
information
is intended
only for the individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended
recipient or the
person responsible for delivering the email to the intended recipient, be
advised that
you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination,
distribution,
forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If
you have received
this email in error, please purge it immediately and notify the sender.