nrpe criticals on connection refused/time out.

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Dec 20 21:18:24 CET 2004

Steven Hajuko:
Does anyone know of a way to stop NRPE from reporting a critical if the
connection is refused or the plugin times out?
I'd like it to report a UNKNOWN instead, as in 90% of these cases, the
problem clears up shortly.  The other 10% of the time, we already know the
box is down.

I'd like this as well...  so, I modified the source code here.  I also made
a similar change for check_nt since we use the pNSclient agent for windows.
It's actually a very simple change (if you know C) although the developers
will naturally want this on a configurable option which increases their
work.

Actually, I have 'unknown' if the connect times out or is refused, but
'warning' if it connects but then doesnt return a value in time (since this
probably indicates an overloaded box).  Your choice may be different.

Let me know via private email if you want a copy of the hacked code.

Steve

---
Steve Shipway: ITSS, University of Auckland
Email: s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz  Web: http://www.steveshipway.org/
** We can only discover new oceans when we have the **
** courage to lose sight of the shore.              **