(UNKNOWN VARIABLE) when running nagios

Qolinar qolinar at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 17:17:19 CET 2004

Thanks (I already tried that), but this brings me to my next error:

L17ADLNX1:/usr/local/nagios # /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios
/usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg -v

Nagios 2.0b1
Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Ethan Galstad (nagios at nagios.org)
Last Modified: 12-15-2005
License: GPL

Nagios 2.0b1 starting... (PID=871)
Error: Invalid hostgroup object directive 'contact_groups'.
Error: Could not add object property in file
'/usr/local/nagios/etc/hostgroups.cfg' on line 25.
Bailing out due to one or more errors encountered in the configuration
files.  Run Nagios from the command line with the -v option to verify
your config before restarting. (PID=871)
L17ADLNX1:/usr/local/nagios #

Here is the hostgroups.cfg file:

# 'switches' host group definition
define hostgroup{
        hostgroup_name  switches
        alias           Switches
        contact_groups  nagios
        members         laknsm3548
        }

# 'routers' host group definition
define hostgroup{
        hostgroup_name  routers
        alias           Routers
        contact_groups  nagios

I did a fresh install of Nagios 2.0b1; I renamed the old directories
to preserve my config data. I used the provided sample configs that
came with the new version; I simply removed "sample" from the file
names. The only config files I moved from my previous install of
Nagios 1.2 were:

hosts.cfg
hostgroups.cfg
services.cfg