Split configfiles: services.cfg

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Dec 20 13:03:23 CET 2004

nagios wrote:
> Hi
>
> We are testing nagios and want to come away from BigBrother. Could these
> configfiles be splitted up? I meen, about 50 hosts will blow up
> services.cfg to a large complex file. Especially with several services
> per host. It would be fine if I could do it like this:
> services-host1.cfg, services-host2.cfg, etc...

Naturally. So long as they're all mentioned in nagios.cfg as cfg_file.
You can even do something like
cfg_dir=/usr/local/nagios/hosts
and put all the files you need in there. Add a host object and the hosts
respective services to the file and you're good to go.

You should also definitely look into attaching services to hostgroups.
You would usually want a 'windows-servers' group so you can add checks
for disk usage, memory usage and such on that type of servers, and
perhaps 'router-devices' for checking the interface table for errors and
traffic usage. That way you can get away with around 1/30'th of what you
would otherwise have to type.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer