Nagios 2.0 init.d/nagios and daemonizing...

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Dec 16 23:25:40 CET 2004

Chris Stankaitis wrote:

>> You can use the lock_file directive in nagios.cfg to make it write its
>> config file somewhere else (at least I think it's lock_file. Look it
>> up in the docs).
>>

> point taken, however this is a serious bug with the nagios binary, it
> needs to be fixed...
>
> I just hope the dev's are watching the list and can roll the fix into
> b2, or submit a patch we can use to fix this.

We are, apparently. Ethan is the only developer (some of us contribute a
bit now and then) and this is by design. I imagine it has something to
do with the fact that the main nagios process drops all privileges
before going active. Most daemons have the master process running as
root, forking one other to do all the work while the master only sits
around waiting for SIG_CHLD and then cleans up. I'll have a look at it
and see if I can come up with something clean enough for Ethan to include.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer