Nagios 2.0 init.d/nagios and daemonizing...

Chris Stankaitis chris.stankaitis at datawire.net
Thu Dec 16 20:18:44 CET 2004

> what are the perms on /var/run?
> Does the user your nagios daemon is running as have permission to write
> there?
> Is there an existing nagios.pid file in there? (if so, delete it)

The perms on var run are root:root 755, these are the same perms which
/var/run has on my nagios 1.2 server.

> As the Nagios user?

Nagios user does not have permission to run the Nagios binary, it's
executed as root at which time Nagios drops it's privileges, from
command line I am running it as root... when Nagios init script is run
it *SHOULD* start Nagios, write the lock, chown things to nagios:nagios
where needed and drop it's privileges, it isn't doing so at this time...

Regardless even as root running the nagios -d flag is not working, and
that is nagios daemon specific.