Dependants

Mark mark at mitsein.net
Mon Dec 13 22:57:45 CET 2004

In a host definition you can specify "parents."  Here is the quote from
the doc -
<quote>
parents: 	This directive is used to define a comma-delimited list of
short names of the "parent" hosts for this particular host. Parent hosts
are typically routers, switches, firewalls, etc. that lie between the
monitoring host and a remote hosts. A router, switch, etc. which is
closest to the remote host is considered to be that host's "parent". Read
the "Determining Status and Reachability of Network Hosts" document
located here for more information. If this host is on the same network
segment as the host doing the monitoring (without any intermediate
routers, etc.) the host is considered to be on the local network and will
not have a parent host. Leave this value blank if the host does not have a
parent host (i.e. it is on the same segment as the Nagios host). The order
in which you specify parent hosts has no effect on how things are
monitored.
</quote>

So, specify the edge router as the parent for each host that is "remote"
and don't notify on unreachable.

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 nagios at mattmartin.co.uk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been running Nagios for some time yet never managed to work this out.
>
> We have a Nagios box monitoring external hosts (on another network). Now
> when that network goes down, Nagios will think the hosts/services are down
> and we get an email and text for each one going down then up.
>
> Is there a way I can set a global dependant for all hosts and services to
> say if I cant ping/reach X.X.X.X to not notify/check other hosts etc.
>
> This would save us a lot of money on the texts etc.
>
> Any help or guidance would be great!
>
> Thanks
>
> Matt

Mark Keisler

"Blessed is he who finds happiness in his own foolishness, for he will
always be happy".